Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Summertime Sweet Tea


Is there anything better than sweet tea on a hot day? I love the South! Everyone has their special way of making tea. My grandmother puts a whole cup of sugar in hers! My mom ads lemon and always keeps a pitcher of unsweet next to the sweet for those who can't handle the real version. I've got my own little twist as well! This recipe is especially wonderful in the heat, so I call it my Summertime Sweet Tea.

2 family size bags of Luzianne tea
boiling water
1 orange, sliced
1 lemon, sliced
1 large sprig of mint
1/2 cup sugar or Splenda
2 quart pitcher w/top

I'll start with the basics, in case you don't know how to make tea. [no shame! we all have to start somewhere!] I always use Luzianne; it's delicious, affordable and made in New Orleans. I use caffeinated sometimes, since I like to drink tea at suppertime. Bring a teapot full of water to boil, remove from heat and place the tea bags in the pot and let them steep for at least 10 minutes, I usually let it steep for about 15. [I read somewhere to let it steep for "no more than 2 minutes" ... that is crazy! Let it sit and get good. Haha.]

Add the sugar to the pitcher, pour in your tea and fill the rest of the pitcher with water [leave a couple of inches at the top.] Stir it together and let it cool off for a few minutes. Add fruit and the mint [don't break up the mint, just put it straight in!] and refrigerate, with top/lid. I like to use the kind that has a strainer for easy pouring. 

Serve over ice, garnish with mint/lemon. Délicieux! 

No comments:

Post a Comment