Thursday, January 30, 2014

DIY Baby Food ❤️

Wednesday ate nothing but breastmilk until she turned six months when we decided to start her on solid food. The whole time I was pregnant, I always said we would get a fancy pants Beaba baby food maker. We never did. Instead, I just decided to take the long road by steaming and mashing veggies and it has gone really smoothly so far. Skip the fancy [expensive] stuff, you can make baby food quite easily without it. 

Here's how we do it, using squash as an example:

1 butternut squash
1/2 cup of water 
2oz breastmilk [formula if you're not BF]
shallow pan for roasting 
food processor or blender
 [I use a Magic Bullet!]

The heat the oven to 400°. Slice your butternut squash in half, longways. Place the butternut squash have facedown in the pan and add about a 1/2 cup of water. Depending on how big your pan is, you might want to use more or less water. Basically, you want the squash to be sitting facedown in about a quarter of an inch of water.


Roast the squash for about an hour. When it's finished, take it out and let it cool. When it is mostly done cooling [I'm never patient enough to let it cool all the way], scoop out the fibrous stringy parts and seeds; do not add this part to your baby's food. Then, scoop out the flesh of the roasted squash into your blender/processor and purée. Add breastmilk to get to your desired consistency. Wednesday liked a smooth purée to begin with side she was just learning to chew, so we used about 2 oz per full squash. It's up to you how much, if any, that you add. I think that adding the breast milk also helped her stomach make the transition to something new, but again, your choice! 


This method will work with pretty much any squash or steam-able veggie. I make a big batch and store it in an airtight Tupperware for use all week. If you're using breastmilk and your recipe, you can use the breastmilk storage guidelines for storing the food. That means it is good for about a week in the fridge.

I'll add some more recipes later, but I think this is a great way to get started. 

We have since moved on to blending fruits and veggies and oatmeal. Wednesday loves oatmeal. She does not like sweets, however. She's the only baby I've ever met that won't eat bananas. But, I'm okay with that. She is a veggie lover like her Pop! 

3 comments:

  1. Great appliances for babies such as food makers and others by Paisley Spalding! Our family decided to contact them and they provided us the best of their options!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since I moved to this area and Fast Food Near me. I have been eating chicken at least twice a week. I love chicken--chicken tenders, Korean fried chicken, fried chicken, Buffalo wings, I love it all. This place has three best fried chickens I have ever had and the most reasonable price too! I came here after work on a weekday ordered a 4 piecemeal at

    ReplyDelete