Friday, July 30, 2010

Easy Steak & Shrimp

This is one of Brandon's favorite meals ... we don't eat beef that often. I'm not sure why. I think we just love seafood and when we're broke from buying shrimp and fish, we buy the cheap stuff ... chicken!

If you have time the day before, take out the steak(s), tenderize just a little bit, rub in salt, pepper and some sort of grill mate ... then brush on some Italian dressing and put them in a Tupperware to sit overnight in the fridge. This is a cheap and easy way to ad a little flavour even before the juices start cooking out. It isn't always easy to create your own marinade. I have a pretty good recipe, but it isn't perfect. I'll let you know when it is ...

Pick a veggie that will grill nicely, like asparagus. Asparagus is quite easy, it just needs some butter, salt and pepper and [for me, like always ... Tony's!]

Just peel and de-vein the shrimp, slather it in this mixture and let it sit for an hour or so, in the fridge:
1 cup lemon juice
1 tbs olive oil
dash of white pepper
pinch of salt

After marinating and before grilling, I always add some herbs [rosemary and parsley, as usual] as well as some Tony's to get a really great smell going. Tony's is great for seafood and adds a bit of color as well.



The easy part about all of this is the fact that you can cook it all at the same time, on the same grill! We don't have an outside grill, so I used my cute little Emeril cast iron grill instead, which is great for eating out of too. Straight from the stove to the table, still sizzling. My favorite steak dip [if needed] is A1, mixed with  some Worcester sauce, but you don't need any at all really. Marinating the steak overnight ensures a great flavour that cooks out beautifully.

No comments:

Post a Comment