Thursday, June 16, 2011

Baby Madness!!

I'm sure this is one of those "yes, it's just you, Kate" things ... but, is it just me or does anyone else think it is weird when women invite everyone they've ever met to meet them at the hospital when they have a kid. Let me first say ... no, I'm not pregnant! But I've had several friends get pregnant recently and it has been my experience that everyone calls around and wants people to come to the hospital to be part of the experience. I genuinely do not understand this. Nearly every time I've been to the hospital for a friend or relative who is giving birth, they look like hell, they're miserable, drugged up and exhausted. Beyond that ... I've never given birth, but it seems like an intensely personal experience that doesn't call for spectators or a posse. I have a big family! But, I can't see that happening ...

As with several social/cultural issues that I address [er, bitch about], I realize that this may be different once I experience it for myself, but I really don't think I'll change my mind and send out mass texts that tell how dilated my cervix is.  This also goes for ultrasound pictures ... I don't think it is appropriate to show that kind of stuff on Facebook/Twitter/whatever ... I mean, it looks like a poltergeist at that point, so why not just put a status up that says, "I made a human, now wait a few months 'til I pop it out so you can lie about how cute it is!" You'll save yourself a lot of "what the hell is that" comments, trust me.

On yet another note about babies ... why does having one validate one's existence?! Before you write me off as a bitter baby-hater, let me just declare here and now that Brandon and I definitely want kids. I mean, we have names and decor picked out already! I think it is going to be a great experience and something that at least one of us [Brandon] will be wonderful with. But, as a married couple in our late-twenties ... we are often looked at as "odd" or "immature" for not having kids by now. I guess I should also throw in the word "barren," since most people thing something is wrong since we haven't had baby and we're nearing thirty. This is especially true among people in their 40s or people our parents age. I'm not sure if they are so astounded because they had kids at 20 and they think that everyone should do exactly as they have done, or if they're baffled by married people who live in happiness without having to immediately justify the union with a child. We aren't royals, we don't need an heir just yet! We are really enjoying our "us" time. It is really nice to be able to stay up all night talking or have mid-day quickies without worrying about an infant rolling off of a flat surface in another room. All in good time. We'll be able to experience it all the fun, excitement, ups & downs of having a child when we're ready.  And, I honestly believe that since we're taking this time to strengthen our relationship, we'll will be all the better for it when we finally decide to go for it. As far as we are concerned, we have already "started a family," adding members is just a bonus.


That being said ... I'll probably turn up pregnant next month! 

No comments:

Post a Comment