Thursday, September 8, 2011

Kickasserole

This is fantastic. I took a recipe for chicken Florentine casserole and kind of changed it up a little bit. [bacon bits? seriously? no ...] I don't usually do casseroles, besides big Italian dishes that you give to people after their relatives die.  I love to make baked ziti and other comfort foods, but I usually steer clear of this type of dish. Casseroles feel like cheating, I think. But, I'm sure I'll make them more often now since this was so delicious. Here's how to make this "Kickasserole" if you'd like to give it a try!

You'll need:
4 chicken breasts
1 can of spinach, strained
1 pkg mushrooms, sliced
1 can of  cream of mushroom soup
1/2 cup 1/2 & 1/2
1/3 cup of butter
1/4 cup parmesean
3 cloves of garlic
salt, pepper, Tony's, etc.
fresh basil, ripped
Italian seasoning [your choice!]
2 cups mozzarella cheese

In a large saucepan, season chicken breasts with pepper, salt & "blue top" Tony's. Cook the chicken in olive oil and one clove of minced garlic. While that is cooking, mix the spinach and chopped mushrooms in the bottom of a Pyrex dish. [9x14] When the chicken is done, place it on the mixture and prepare the following cream sauce in the same saucepan. Add cream of mushroom soup, 1/2 & 1/2, parm cheese, butter and italan seasonings to the saucepan and simmer until ... delicious. I really don't remember how long. 10+ minutes probably. Add basil last, then cover the chicken and veggie mix with the cream sauce and mozzarella cheese. Bake at 400 until golden bubbly [about 25 minutes.] It will be golden and it will bubble, I promise. 






Easy! Great served with rice or angel hair pasta and a salad. ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment