Saturday, March 12, 2011

I call this the "Not a Frittata"

I learned about this dish from a friend of mine who recently hosted our Mardi Gras Candles & Cocktails. It is a really basic dish that is easy and really, really delicious. I added a couple of ingredients to it while I was trying it for the first time, but the basic recipe is still the same. I'd like to thank Glynda for showing this to me and for hosting the  ZC brunch so beautifully!  I hope you will try it and add a little spice to your next party.

You'll need:
classic 9x14 Pyrex 
18 eggs
1 clove garlic
about a tbsp of butter
1 cup shredded monterey jack 
1 cup shredded colby
2 cups shredded cheddar
9-12 green chilies [comes in a small can on the Mexican food ailse!]
diced bell peppers [to taste]
diced mushrooms [to taste]
pre-heated oven - around 375

Sautee the diced mushrooms and garlic in about 1 tbsp of butter until nice and cooked, then set aside. Slice the green chilies open and lay them flat to cover the bottom of the dish. Then add the cheeses in a thick layer, all together. Sprinkle with diced bell peppers [raw] and the mushroom mixture. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs, add Tony's, S&P and any other spice you might want [I used fresh Rosemary ... I always add Rosemary to eggs!]. Then pour the egg mixture evenly over the layered cheese/chilies/veggies.

Let this sit for about 20 minutes so the egg can get nice and settled. Then pop it in for about 25 minutes or until "golden bubbly." I use the "jiggle test" ... if it jiggles in the middle, it isn't ready yet! Serve with Tabasco sauce for an extra kick!

Voila! It was really great. I think Brandon ate about 1/2 this Pyrex! 
Haha. My man can eat! I try not to let the fact that he puts food away like a 
sumo wrestler and is still a 32" drive me nuts. It'll be good genes for our kids to get.

No comments:

Post a Comment