Thursday, August 12, 2010

StingRhea

Each Fall, I usually try and swim a little each week. I used to swim competitively but after an injury, I'm really not supposed to ever train again without serious rehab or surgery. But honestly, whenever I smell chlorine or pass a sports store in the mall with fresh new Speedos hanging on the wall, I get that little lump in my throat that most people get at the end of Extreme Home Makeover [ugh] or a Disney movie. I miss swimming so much that usually once a year, I try and cheat a little by getting back in the water. What usually happens is ... I get over excited, do too much and then I can't move my arm for about a week. That's never fun. I just can't help it. For years, I was in the pool for hours on end every day, which is probably why I used to be quite small and compact and now I'm ... not. Then when I couldn't any longer, it was like quitting cold turkey. Getting back in the water brings me back home, as odd as that sounds. I'm hoping that one day I'll be able to give swimming lessons at my home like I did when I was in high school and college. Not only did I make good money, I got to start kids on the path to competitive swimming which I think might be the best activity for any age.

So this year, I think I'll take a different approach and try using some equipment to slow me down and take the pressure off of my shoulders. That way I'll be in the pool, but there is less chance that I'll get hurt and have to quit. 

I recently threw away my Nike Swim bag that I've had forever, so I need a new one. I really trust Speedo over Nike Swim because I've always used them for suits and equipment [besides goggles ... I use Swedish]. I've narrowed it down to a great little duffel that I can use for anything, including these little fits of swimming I have each year. It's important to have a good gym bag, but more importantly, if you're a swimmer you really need something that is made for being thrown around a pool deck, bleachers and a wet locker room. There is one major problem ... I can't decide on a color. This always happens ... I'll let you know how it goes!
Just 3 of the many color choices ... honestly, how am I supposed to choose!?


sushi suit! my favorite find. 

No comments:

Post a Comment